Escape from intense, big Texas heat of 100 plus degrees to the moderate, sea salt infused air of Monterey. Being home, I can play with my dog (mostly just working on her training since she is only 8 months old), go for long runs, and... do yoga on the beach!
The best part of this summer, however, has been getting quality time in the kitchen with my Mom. Since she is the main teacher that helped me to value the importance of home cooked meals, spending time with her now is all the more meaningful.
Tonight, Mom and I made a tasty side salad for some smoked chicken. What better than a greek salad with orzo?
• 3 cups of cooked orzo (you can also sub quinoa)• 1 large red bell pepper
• 1 medium cucumber (peeled and chopped)
• 1/4 cup chopped red onion
• 1/2 cup kalamata olives (halved)
• 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
• 1 tbs dried parsley
• 1/2 tbs garlic salt
• 1/4 cup Trader Joe's light champagne dressing
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook for 9 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of cold water to the boiling water.
- Drain the orzo in colander.
- Allow the orzo to cool.
- Chop bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, and olives and combine in salad bowl.
- Add feta, parsley, garlic salt, and champagne dressing.
- Once orzo is cool, add it to the other ingredients and toss until mixed.
- Chill in the fridge and serve as a side with grilled or roasted meets or have as a great take along lunch!